Home Blog Page 314

‘EC hasn’t taken any decision on creating constituencies beyond Guan’

0

The Electoral Commission (EC) says it has not taken any decision on creating constituencies beyond that of the Guan Constituency and urges the public to disregard any publication to the contrary.

A statement issued by Mr Michael Boadu, the Acting Head of Public Affairs, EC, copied to the Ghana News Agency on Tuesday, said the Commission was only creating one constituency; the Guan Constituency in the Oti Region.

It said the EC’s attention had been drawn to a news item in the media that 25 constituencies were going to be created ahead of the 2024 general election.

“The Commission wishes to state for the information of the public that it is only creating one constituency, which is the Guan Constituency in the Oti Region”.

“The EC, therefore, urges the public to pay no attention to the said publication.”

U.S. provides $100,000 to assist lower Volta flood victims

0

The United States Government through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has provided $100,000 (1.1 million Ghana cedis) to the more than 31,000 people displaced by recent flooding in the Volta Region.

The assistance, will would support the Government of Ghana’s relief efforts to save lives, reduce suffering, and begin recovery, was announced at the launch of the U.S. Global Water Strategy Plan for Ghana in Accra, a Statement said. 

Madam Virginia Palmer, U.S. Ambassador to Ghana, in her remarks said: “I am pleased to announce just over 1.1 million cedis to assist those affected by the flooding in the Volta Region.  We are working with the World Food Program to assist those most in need.”

The Statement said the USAID through the USAID/Enhancing Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (En-WASH) project, had provided chlorine concentrate for disinfection of communal latrines and drainage canals amongst others. 

This was done in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) and the local governments. 

“USAID also provided local residents with 175,000 tablets of Aqua tabs for the treatment and purification of 3.5 million liters of drinking water to prevent the outbreak of water-borne diseases,” the statement said. 

The United States is Ghana’s largest bilateral development partner.

In 2022, the U.S. bilateral assistance totaled over $150 million dedicated to supporting health, economic growth and agriculture, education, governance, and security.

EC lays Constitutional Instrument for creation of Guan constituency

0

The Electoral Commission (EC) has laid the Representation of the People (Parliamentary Constituencies) (Amendment) Instrument, 2023, before Parliament for the creation of the Guan Constituency.

The Constitutional Instrument (CI) was captured in the October 31, 2023, edition of the Order Paper of the House.

The CI, once placed before the House, would take 21 sitting days to be passed into law. 

Akosombo Dam Spillage: Energy Minister scheduled to brief Parliament on November 8

0

Dr Matthew Opoku Prempeh, the Energy Minister and Member of Parliament for Manhyia South, will on Wednesday, November 8, brief Parliament on the Akosombo Dam excess water spillage.

He gave the assurance on Tuesday on the floor of the House in response to the Minority’s call for a briefing on the spillage, which submerged some communities downstream.

Dr Opoku Prempeh urged Ghanaians to pray and solidarise with the affected people due to the recent floods and support them to recover.

He said the effects of climate change could not be downplayed as predictions or forecasts by reputable agencies were even failing.

He cited the floods in New York, USA, three weeks ago, even with all the best meteorologocal agencies.

An interministerial team had been set up to deal with the Akosombo Dam Spillage, and “even though VRA is under the Ministry of Energy, we take responsibility, but it is a national disaster, it is an emergency”.

He said the nation needed a comprehensive statement on the spillage to inform decision.

Finance ministry issues disclaimer on electronic cargo transit number

0

The Ministry of Finance says it has not issued any directive demanding all shipment to Ghana, including transit shipment, to obtain an Electronic Cargo Transit number.

It has, therefore, urged players in the shipping industry to ignore and disregard any letter that was purported to have come from the Ministry in line with such directive.

“The Ministry wishes to inform all shippers and stakeholders that the letter and its content are fake and should be ignored.

“The letter alleged that as from 15″ September 2023, all shipment to Ghana, including transit shipment are required to obtain an Electronic Cargo Transit number (ECTN/SPN) and submit same to Antaser Afrique BVBA for verification,” the Ministry noted in a statement.

It has commended stakeholders for due diligence and making enquiries.

The Ministry noted that extensive consultation would be done with relevant stakeholders whenever government wished to introduce a new policy or tax.

SSNIT Scheme covers 0.85 per cent of informal sector workers

0

– Only 0.85 per cent of the 6.7 million Ghanaian workers in the informal sector are covered by the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) scheme.

This contrasts with the formal sector, where the scheme covered 60 per cent of the 3.2 million workers.

Dr. John Ofori-Tenkorang, Director-General of SSNIT, said this on Monday during the Greater Accra Regional Self-Employed Enrolment Drive (SEED) Stakeholder Forum jointly organized by Trust and the Trades Union Congress (TUC).

It was under the theme: “Sign up for SEED from SSNIT, Eye wo Daakye. Fa no Personal”.

Dr Ofori-Tenkorang said the situation had necessitated the SEED, an initiative to get more self-employed people and workers in the informal sector to join the scheme.

“We realise that for such people they are their own CEOs, and their own HR, accountants, and labourers. So, they do not have a dedicated HR department to make sure the requisite contributions are remitted to SSNIT. That is why we have made it easy for them to sign up,” he said.

Dr. Ofori-Tenkorang said that there were around 1.9 million active SSNIT contributors, with 61 per cent in the private sector and 36 per cent in the public sector.

He stated that 57, 000, or 2.9 percent, were self-employed, a significant increase from 14, 000 a year ago.

He attributed the increment to the collaborative efforts of SSNIT and the TUC.

Dr. Ofori-Tenkorang explained that the scheme provided contributors with a number of benefits, including an old age pension, a survivor’s lump sum, an invalidity pension, an emigration lump amount, and an old age lump sum.

He stated that the contributor would pay using mobile money, which was exempt from E-levy, and that the scheme also entailed free national health insurance premiums. 

The Director-General emphasized that the public must dispel misconceptions such as “The SSNIT Scheme is only for formal or public sector workers,” “The SSNIT Scheme is an investment scheme,” and “SSNIT pensions are low.”

He said every Ghanaian worker, as well as non-Ghanaians, could contribute to the scheme.

These included full-time, part-time, contract, and seasonal employees, as well as self-employed and casual workers.

Dr Ofori-Tenkorang said that to sign up, one must be at least 15 years of age and no older than 45 years old.

Mr. John Kojo Boateng, General Manager, Benefits, SSNIT, suggested that a contributor identify who would be the beneficiaries when he or she died.

He stated that doing so would help prevent misunderstandings in circumstances where such beneficiaries were not specified.

Several groups and associations under the TUC participated in the forum.

Madam Mercy Korang, Informal Hawkers and Vendors Association of Ghana, said the engagement had given her greater insight into the SSNIT Scheme.

“I will tell all my group members to sign up to the scheme in order to secure their future,” she said.

Oppong Nkrumah worries about attacks on reporters.

0

The growing number of attacks on journalists has alarmed Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Minister of Information, who has drawn attention to the inadequate penalties and slow prosecution of these crimes.

During his remarks as the 27th Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) awards special guest in Accra, he challenged journalists to be brave and courageous in carrying out their duties in the service of the country.

Nkrumah described the development as “a disheartening trend that is becoming a blot on our democratic credentials as a country.” “While performing their duties, journalists shouldn’t have to worry about their safety. Reporting is not a crime; rather, it is a noble and vital duty to our country. The offenders frequently escape prompt and adequate punishment.

He also mentioned that his ministry has resolved some pending cases of journalist assaults and abuse in the recent past.

He also disclosed that a public accountability event will take place in the coming days, where the police service will provide updates on the investigation into the death of Ahmed Suale and other similar cases.

“On our side, as a ministry, we shall do all we can to ensure that the National Media Commission and the security agencies are supported and pressured to do what they are tasked with,” Nkrumah said. “I am happy to inform you that in the coming weeks, we will be holding the first accountability forum for the police Criminal Investigative Department, judicial service, and other stakeholders to hold to account those who are charged with investigating and punishing persons in several cases that we have reported. For example, we would like to hear the updates on the murder of Ahmed Suale and the attack on Radio Ada.”

Citi FM and Citi TV’s Fred Duhoe won the Best Television News Reporter of the year award at the GJA ceremony.

Parliament resumes sitting Tomorrow

0

Parliament is set to commence sittings on Tuesday, October 31, 2023.

This will commence the Third Meeting of the Third Session of the Eighth Parliament of the Fourth Republic.

In a letter dated October 11, to notify MPs, the Clerk to Parliament, Cyril. K.O Nsiah said, “In pursuant to the standing order 32(2) of the Parliament of Ghana, I Cyril Kwabena Oteng Nsiah, Clerk to Parliament, hereby notify Hon. Members of Parliament that the third Meeting of the Third Session of the Eighth Parliament of the Fourth republic shall commence on Tuesday, 3Ist October 2023 at Ten O’Clock in the forenoon at Parliament House. Accra”.

Parliament went on recess on August 3, 2023.

National Action Plan to Combat Disinformation due December – Oppong Nkrumah

0

Stakeholders in the communication sector have banded together to create a comprehensive National Action Plan to counteract the country’s increasing flood of disinformation.

The proposal, which is now in preparation, is expected to be completed by December of this year.

This comes from a recent National Conference on Disinformation and Misinformation, when political parties, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), media representatives, and development partners agreed on a 7-point statement.

Speaking at the 27th Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) Media Awards, Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the growing spate of misinformation and deliberate disinformation in our media space if left unchecked, could erode the trust in the journalism profession and hinder meaningful democratic discourse hence, the urgent need for a National Action Plan.

“Disinformation, if not checked, at the minimum, trust in our cherished profession will soon be eroded. At the most, we will not even have a democracy anymore where people can exchange ideas and make decisions based on truth and fact. We run the risk of shifting to a space where our public discourse is started by misinformation and disinformation, twisted narratives, and sometimes total fabrications.

“If we get into that space, we cannot have any meaningful forward-looking conversation that builds our society. Because any conversation that starts with disinformation evokes misdirected passions and denies us the ability to discuss and build consensus on solutions cogently,” the Minister said.

The National Action Plan, according to Minister Oppong Nkrumah, will incorporate a variety of strategies including maintaining ethical standards in media, encouraging fact-checking in public conversations, supporting high-quality journalism, and promoting civic education.

The Minister appealed to all stakeholders to actively join forces and dedicate themselves to addressing this escalating threat. He said while the government has initiated various measures to tackle the issue, eradicating this menace entirely would require an all-hands-on-deck approach.

Poll predicts Bawumia will win the NPP flagbearership with more than 80% of the vote.

0

According to a new survey done by two reputable research organisations, Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia is the frontrunner to win the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) flagbearership campaign.

According to the survey, which was conducted by the Centre for Sustainable African Development Initiatives (C-SADI) in the United Kingdom and The Outcomes International in Ghana, Bawumia has a commanding lead over his opponents, with 80.8% of delegates’ support.

Kennedy Agyapong, the Assin Central MP, is expected to finish second with 10.4% of the vote, followed by Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto (1.1%) and Francis Addai-Nimoh (0.4%). 7.3% of delegates are yet to decide.

“H.E. Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has the highest level of support among the delegates, with about 80.8% followed by Hon. Kennedy Agyapong (10.4%), Hon. Dr. Owusu Afriyie Akoto (1.1%), and Hon. Francis Addai-Nimoh (0.4%). 7.3% of the delegates are still undecided,” the report said.

The poll’s findings are consistent with other polls conducted in recent months, which have all shown Bawumia with a significant lead.

Kennedy Agyapong caused a major upset during the Super Delegates Conference of the party when he came second behind Dr Bawumia with 132 votes representing 14.30% of the votes. Alan Kyeremanten had been tipped to come second.

Now though, the poll has said that Dr Bawumia is the favourite to win chiefly because of his vision for both party and country, his competence and his ability to win the presidential election of 2024.

“The main bases for assessing candidates by delegates are the vision of the candidate for the party, the vision of the candidate for the country, and the candidate’s competence.

Delegates of the party believe the party stands a good chance of breaking the 8 if the performance of the government is improved and the party stay united after the primaries,” the report explained.

On November 4, 2023, more than 200 thousand delegates of the NPP will elect a presidential candidate ( flagbearer) of the party for the 2024 General Elections. All polls have so far tipped Dr Bawumia to win effortlessly.